May 2010: Sandcasting

June 06, 2012

On Saturday 14 May I ran a sand casting workshop. This course is always popular and great fun. We really do 'get our hands dirty'! Everyone successfully cast several pieces, one piece - a seahorse was a stubborn one but we didn't give in and got it on the third attempt! Here are a few images, though as usual, I was too busy to capture very much from the early part of the day.

 

Two part sand mould ready to cast
Two part sand mould ready to cast.

Opening the mould to remove the twig, and add air vents.
Opening the mould to remove the twig, and add air vents.

Sue cutting the sprues from her castings.
Sue cutting the sprues from her castings.

The working area, after we have made 3 or 4 moulds each!
The working area, after we have made 3 or 4 moulds each!

At the bench cutting sprues, filing up the castings and soldering jump rings etc.
At the bench cutting sprues, filing up the castings and soldering jump rings.

 

Removing a sprue
Removing a sprue.

 

Sue cast from a very old family locket, not causing any harm to the original.  We were delighted how much detail was carried through to the casting.
Sue cast from a very old family locket, not causing any harm to the original. We were delighted how much detail was carried through to the casting.

 

An old key and a seahorse cast in silver by Nick.
An old key and a seahorse cast in silver by Nick.

 

Silver acorn cufflinks made by Sue.
Silver acorn cufflinks made by Sue.

 

Nick's silver bullet cufflinks.
Nick's silver bullet cufflinks.

Wendy!  I wish I had photographed the pieces she made, unfortunately I didn't get chance.  She made a lovely twig, some buttons and a key.
I wish I had photographed the pieces Wendy made, unfortunately I didn't get chance. She made a lovely twig, some buttons and a key.